Sunday 17 May 2020

The Last Gum Tree

The Last Gum Tree

I am the last park ranger
And I am proud to be in charge of this last gum tree
I am the last eco tourist
And I traveled far to photograph this last gum tree
I am the last Eastern Rosella
And I flew for days to perch in this last gum tree
I am the last Rock Wallaby
And I crave the cooling shade of this last gum tree
I am the last state premier
And I pledge full protection for this last gum tree
I am the last property developer
And I wisely bought the land around this last gum tree
I am the last home builder
And I have no option but to bulldoze this last gum tree
I am the last conservationist
And I will passively resist the felling of this last gum tree
I am the last news reporter
And I will cover live the demise of this last gum tree
I am the last Koori elder
And I weep for the death of my brother this last gum tree
I am the endless spirit of all trees
My seed, buried deep in time, will perpetuate this last gum tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment