Saturday 20 June 2020

I Am

I Am

In your mind I am several shades of black
but in my spirit shade,
born of the Creator in the Dreaming long ago,
I was the keeper of the land
and I was with the land by day
under the blazing sun, Wiriupranili,
and by night under the cool moon, Japara,
and my shadows were always by my side
and we shared our identity in peace
with the soul of the land
and we shared our lives and our destiny
with all that lived upon the land
and we listened to the voices of the land
and we were free.
But now, the torch of Wiriupranili has dimmed
and the voice of the soul of the land is silent
and the Koori people have been eclipsed
along with much that lived upon the land.
And now, I am cruelly cast forever
as the ubiquitous shadow of your conscience,
as the mirror and measure
of your political correctness
in your synthetic, suburban society.
And yet, although I am long hidden in your shade,
I am still the traditional spirit keeper of the land
and I feel your discomfort
at the reflection of my blackness
and I smell your fear
of your own shadow
and I sense your alarm
in what you have made of me
of what now, I am.


1 comment: