Saturday 6 June 2020

Fantasy at Fleet Pond

Fantasy at Fleet Pond

That late afternoon she appeared to me
I was just a mere youth in sole secrecy,
observant of nature, alone with the wild
but a typical, naive country bred child,
just sating compulsive scholarly needs
in a hide amongst those stiff green reeds
and erect brown rushes by a narrow ledge,
a promontory at the frozen water's edge
delivering clear vision, long ago it seems,
but even today she still haunts my dreams.

With her slender arms held aloft and wide,
and her head tilted wistfully to one side,
auburn locks lingering across one shoulder
mystical, serene, first cautious then bolder
ascending from the ice mat across Fleet Pond,
Arthurian vision, but from whose magic wand,
yet more is revealed of this picturesque scene
as two swans in homage fly up to their queen,
symbolic attendants in pure white they greet
then settle down delicately, right at her feet.

Crimson orb, winter low beneath the cloud,
now prises apart the misty grey shroud,
traces rose pink tracks across dappled ice
and into my pond princess breathes new life;
from some distant time in history’s page
she steps gently onto this glacial stage
then starts her dance, very slowly at first,
pirouettes, pas de deux and then she bursts
into agile twists, turns and leaps in the air
in this silent ballet, nature’s 'danse d'hiver'.

Fog filtered sun burns her flying mane red
forms a flaxen halo encircling her head
animates glimpses of gold thread by its light
creating a bird flock in synchronised flight
woven intricately into that twirling gown,
as in dervish frenzy she springs up and down,
spinning so fast that my eyes cannot focus
bewitched by this mind numbing hocus pocus,
then she stops, curtsies and to my great surprise
gently lowers her robe right down to the ice.

So naked as a bough of the northern beech,
stood sentinel around the pond’s every reach,
my pubescent mentor with brazen displays
of the essence and nature of woman in ways
so erotic, alluring, makes new feelings rise
in a young virgin boy disbelieving his eyes;
with burning passion she lets her hands roam
to parts of her body, to me quite unknown,
from gentle gyrations to muscular spasm
in climax my nymphette achieves her orgasm.

My mystery seductress, her mission not done,
is now perfectly framed by the setting sun
in the centre arch of the old Norman bridge
supported by the granite and earthen ridge
that splits into two these separate sweeps
of ancient wetlands, with dire secrets they keep
of her doleful drowning beneath this lagoon,
of this spectre, which fades at the rising moon,
so with slim white fingers she gestures in haste
beckons me to her across that solid white waste.

Silent songs from the soul of this medieval child
complete the entrapment, my mind so beguiled
by her dance, her verse, each designed to entice
as she sinks with the sun, reunites with the ice,
I rush from the reeds, do this deed “mens rea”
since, lamenting, she begs I no longer delay her,
offering outstretched hands for me to clutch
yet her crystalline fingers snap off at my touch
then the physics of freezing water and weight
in reaction determine my eternal fate.

The newspaper headlines, in manner austere,
reported me drowned, said there’s one every year,
and melodramatically, quite worthy of Byron,
ventured to boast that some ghost, some siren
had sounded my death knell, like those gone before,
revenge on cruel youths in a boat out from shore,
who took her by force whilst the winter sun set,
then in fright cast her out like an old fishing net,
they left her to drown with the bank far beyond,
where its dark and cold in my hide at Fleet Pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment